Information About Edirne Sarayı
Edirne Palace or Saray-ı Cedid-i Amire (New Palace) is one of the Ottoman palaces in Edirne. It was the largest palace of the Ottoman Empire after the Topkapi Palace in Istanbul. Only a very small part has survived.
Outside the city center in the north of the west of the Tunca river in a very large hunting grounds and forest, the palace, was established on a land of about 3 million square meters. It consisted of 5 main squares and the buildings within this square. There was a palace garden inside. The Sarayiçi region, where the palace was located in the past, is the area where Kırkpınar wrestling is held today.
II. It started during the reign of Murat, and was completed by the Architect Şehabettin during the reign of Mehmet the Conqueror. The most glorious time, the Sultan IV. Mehmed's reign took place. During this period, new pavilions, rooms, pavilions, fountains and pools were built.
The palace was used by the Ottoman sultans until the 19th century. Among the Ottoman sultans who went to the palace, Suleiman the Magnificent, II. Selim II. Ahmed, IV. Mehmed II. Ahmed, II. Mustafa, III. Ahmet. On August 22, 1829, the Russians entered the city and left the city until the date of September 14, 1829, a period of great destruction in the palace. During the 93 War in 1878, on the news that the Russians would occupy Edirne, upon the order of the governor, the palace was destroyed when the arsenal near the palace was fired in order not to pass into the hands of the Russians.
In 2008, work was initiated for the restoration of Edirne Palace.
Some Palace Structures
Cihannüma (Has Oda) Summer Palace
The Cihannuma Pavilion is the most magnificent structure of Edirne Palace. It was built in 1452 by Fatih Sultan Mehmet. On the top floor there was an octagonal room with a pool. This place, where Cem Sultan was born, is among the ruined buildings to date.
The Sand Pavilion is an important building located on the right side of the Cihannuma Pavilion in Edirne Palace. It is said to have taken its name from its yellow sand. It was built during the reign of Fatih. The adjacent Kum Kasrı Bath is one of the palace structures that can survive to the present day.
Court of Justice
Main article: Palace of Justice
The Justice Pavilion was built in 1562 by Sultan Süleyman the Magnificent and built by Mimar Sinan. It was used as Divan-ı Hümayun (Council of Ministers) and Supreme Court. On the first floor there was Şerbethane, on the second floor there were clerks and on the top floor there was a marble hall where the Divan committee was gathered. In the middle of the marble hall there was a marble pool of Edirnekâri and in the corner there was the throne of the padishah behind the cage.
Only 58 hectares of the so-called 'Chicken Forest' remain from the Palace Garden in Edirne Palace. Chicken Forest is an area full of herbaceous onions and valuable medicinal plants. IV. A small attachment of the hunting mansion, “Bülbül Pavilion”, built by Mehmet in 1671, is still standing today.
According to a myth in the area called Chicken Forest today, chicken was raised in the past and the egg whites obtained from these chickens were mixed into horasan mortar and chicken meat was sent to military regions.
Archaeology,Mosques,Museums,Churches,Castles,Shopping,History,Historical Places,information info About For Tourists,Things Places Must To Visit,images,Landmarks,Photos,Visitor Tourist Google Map Guide Attractions,Ruins,opening hours,interior,inside,Entrance Fee,Architecture,Location,Turkey,Edirne,Edirne Sarayı