Ciragan Palace Map And Location
Information About Ciragan Palace
The location of Çırağan today between Beşiktaş and Ortaköy was known as "Kazancıoğlu Bahçeleri" in the 17th century. The palaces and gardens decorating Beşiktaş shores in the 18th century were considered to be the most important icons of the Tulip Age. This period was devoted to entertainment and cultural splendor.
Revolutionary ruler III. Ahmed gave the property to Ibrahim Pasha, the Vizier, and was built for his wife, Fatma Sultan (daughter of Ahmad III) by Damat İbrahim Pasha of Nevşehir, the first mansion. He has arranged festivals to the meş called the Çırağan Festivals here. Therefore, it began to be referred to as 'Çırağan' which means light in Persian.
Sultan II. In 1834, Mahmoud decides to reconstruct this area and demolishes it. The school and the mosque around it are removed from the center, and the Mevlevihane is transported to a nearby mansion. Though it seems that a large amount of wood is used for the new palace, the stone is used entirely in the construction of the foundation. It has a classic appearance with 40 columns.
Sultan Abdülmecid 1857'de Sultan II. He destroyed the first palace built by Mahmoud, thought to build a palace in the style of western architecture but died in 1863, and monetary troubles caused the construction of the palace to be unfinished. Abdülaziz completed the construction of the new palace in 1871, but in terms of architecture, eastern architecture was chosen and North African Islamic Architecture was applied. Sarkis Balyan and his partner Kirkor Narsisyan were the contractors of the palace. Instead of the wooden building of the old Çırağan Palace, new stone foundations were laid.
A man worth a thousand gold from the priceless embroidered doors of the palace came out of the hands of Vortik Kemhaciyan. Sultan II. Abdulhamid has one of these doors, the friendly German Emperor Kayzer II. He gave Wilhelm a gift. Materials such as rare marble, porphyry, and mother-of-pearl were brought from all over the world and used to make the palace. Only 400,000 Ottoman liras were spent on the coast. The Çırağan Palace, which started its construction in 1863, was completed in 1871 and 2.5 million gold was spent. Sultan Abdulaziz, who came here for the last time in March of 1876, left the Çırağan Palace and settled in Dolmabahçe Palace upon the departure of the rumors that the Beşiktaş Mevlevihanesi was demolished and joined the palace in the public.
On November 14, 1909, Çırağan Palace was started to be used as the Assembly Building. In this period in the palace II. Works of Rembrandt and Ayvazovski from Abdulhamid's art collection were included. On January 20, 1910, the palace burned with fire from the roof of the radiator. Very valuable antiques, II. The private collection of Abdulhamid and the library of V. Murad were burnt down as well.
At the end of World War I, when the city of Istanbul was under occupation, the ruins of the Çırağan Palace were used by a French fortress named "Bizo Kışlası". In 1930, the garden of the palace was cut by the Beşiktaş Football Club into large football fields. Later on, Prof. Prof. Bonatz and Turkish architect. Sedat Hakkı Eldem was investigated to make a tourist hotel here.
The graves belonging to the Mevlevi dervishes on the basement floor of the palace in 1946 were destroyed in the excavations made by the captain of the fortress in order to search for gold and in the same year the Palace was left to the Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality with a law issued. In 1987, it was restored by the Japanese Kumagai Gumi and Turkish Yuksel Construction to be used as a hotel. In 1990, the hotel was opened to service in 1992. The "Çırağan Palace Hotel" opened in 1990 after a long period of design and construction work. The Historical Palace opened its doors in 1992. After that, the renovation of the palace was completed on April 20, 2006 and the suites of the Palace were completely renovated.